The child’s health

Last updated: 22 3 2018

There are many different places to turn to when questions of the child’s health are involved.

  • Children’s health care central and family central

    Children's health care central offers health care examinations and vaccinations, but you can also get advice on everything which affects your child's development. When your child is sick and needs health care you must turn to the health care central.

    In many places a children's health care central can be found in a family central in which are gathered together many different resources that can be needed when children are small.

  • Children and youth medical offices

    Children and youth medical offices, BUMM, are specialised offices for children and young people to and including age 17.

    When what is involved are occasional illnesses in otherwise healthy children, BUMM will accept children up to the age of twelve months.

  • Dental care

    The national dental service is the dental care which the county council operates. The national dental service must provide regular and comprehensive dental care for all children and young people to and including the year they reach 21.

    When young people who are seeking asylum are involved, the county council's obligation to offer dental care ends when the young person reaches age 18, as distinguished from young people with a residence permit.

  • Vaccinations

    All children in Sweden have a right to vaccination against nine serious illnesses. All girls are also offered vaccination against human papillomavirus (HPV) which can lead to uterine cancer among other things.

    Children up to age 18 who have not been vaccinated in accordance with the vaccination program must be offered supplementary vaccination.

  • Student health

    Student health encompasses medical, psychological, psychosocial and special pedagogical interventions and is to support the student's development towards the goals of the education.

    Student health offers, among other things, health checks, vision and hearing examinations.

  • Psychological health

    Psychological ill health is a comprehensive concept which includes both less serious psychological problems and more serious symptoms.

    Depression exhibits itself in various ways depending on how old one is. Children and young people who are depressed do not always become noticeably dejected. It is commoner, for example, that they become irritated or angry.

    BUP (Barn- och ungdomspsykiatrin, child and youth psychiatric services)

    BUP looks after those children and young people who have the greatest need of psychiatric support or care. They receive young people up to the age of 18; if you're older you turn to adult psychiatric services.



  • Youth counselling centre

    Youth clinics are available for young people from about age 12-13 to and including age 25. The visits are free.

    At youth clinics it is possible to receive conversational support for a person who feels bad and needs someone to talk with. It can also involve questions about the body or about sexuality or preventive means.

  • Children with functional impairments

    As parents of a child with a functional impairment you have a right to support from the society. You must seek most of the interventions yourself.

    What support the family has a right to depends on what functional impairment the child has and how much it affects the child's daily life. Both the municipality and the county council where the child lives are responsible for providing support.

    Sometimes students with functional impairments need to go to different schools which are adapted to their needs.

    Child rehabilitation

    Child rehabilitation accepts children and young people with comprehensive and life-long functional impairments.

    The rehabilitation interventions may be advice, support and treatment as well as prescription and testing of assistance methods.